Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Furries and the Fury

Note: This post contains strong language.

In the recent past, there has been some controversy regarding the furry fandom and I would like to address some of these issues right now.

To people who are not familiar with the furry fandom or are horrible internet trolls see the fandom as a sexual fetish. Obviously as you and I would know it's not. However, whenever the shit hits the fan and it makes the newspaper, a decent number of commenters try to force the fetish thing as being the only reason why we're furries. As much as this infuriates me, as I sit back and look at the fandom, I can understand why people would think we're not normal, and it's not just for the reason of wearing fursuit, tails, ears, etc.

The biggest issue I've seen, along with other furs, is the actions of certain people at events. I'm sorry, but I don't care if you're 14 or 84. Grow the fuck up. Yes, we're here to have fun, but I don't want to see someone's fun ruined because someone else is being a total jackass. Or even worse, civil infractions which could cause distress among others outside the fandom and give us a bad name. You have to think if what you are doing is going to cause someone else to have a problem. Even something as basic as giving a hug may be very irritating to someone else. Again, I'm not against people having fun, but there is a limit, and there's no reason that once you put on your tail that you can act like a three-year-old and do whatever you want.

When I went to school, there were three guidelines everyone was expected to follow: Treat everyone with reason, respect and responsibility. I really wish more furries would follow this guideline, or people would enforce this at events. Again, we're all here to have fun, but it can take one person to fuck it up for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment